Last night, Dad had a very hard time with the xrays and tests they ran. They had trouble stabilizing him. It was very scary. They used the term destat.
This morning, I got to the hospital around 8am. The critical care doctor spoke to me (Mom had gone home to shower as she had spent the night here) and he really scared me. He made it sound like it was not super likely that Dad would overcome this since they can't quit figure out why he is having the challenges he is.
Fortunately someone from Mom's church was here and heard what the doctor told me. She helped me remember what all the doctor said. He said, "He's very sick and could die. It's not hopeless but there is a good chance he could die. It's not totally non-reversible." Although it was upsetting news, I did press the doctor for information and do appreciate his honesty.
Basically, the xray showed lots of inflammation, no blood clots (which is good but doesn't help them understand what is wrong), intestine is fine (a little inflamed), and gall bladder is a little inflamed.
The top front half of lungs look ok. The back part of the lungs have collapsed. They are saying his lungs are badly damaged.
They are currently changing him to some sort of rotating bed that will hopefully relieve some of the pressure on his lungs. I guess it is pretty rare and I overheard the nurse saying she has only done it once and it was 2 or 3 years ago. The bed came with its own team of technicians.
If that doesn't help they are going to try a different ventalator or something like that.
It's a risky procedure. Any time they move him in anyway, he seems to have major trouble.
I'll update more later. Thank you for prayers!

No comments:
Post a Comment