shabby 4

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

One of My Less Favorite Days

Today is day 7 of dad being in ICU, on a respirator, with pneumonia and not much better than he was a week ago.

There seemed to be a lot of set backs today. I'll try to list what I remember.

His oxygen had previously been reduced to 50% (this is good).  However, today they had to up it to 90% (this is not so good).

His chest xray and bronchioscopy (sp?) showed that there is still a good bit of fluid and congestion in his lungs.  This should have been cleared up some by now.

They checked for blood clots in legs.  He has some.  This is not so good.

They upped his medicine helping with blood clots.

While they were doing the ultrasound to check for blood clots, he starting shaking. A lot.  Almost like he was having a seizure.  It very visibly scared the nurse doing the ultrasound.  It's never good seeing a nurse noticeably bothered.

They had to replace his catheter because his old one had issues.

They had to replace an iv line.  They had trouble doing so and had to retry 2 times.

They can't move him to do further testing/xrays/etc that they would like to do because he is in too fragile of a state.

When I bluntly asked the doctor how discouraged we should be, he evaded my question.  Previously, they have been fairly direct with my questions.

He did indicate that he suspects the lung to have some damage (not just the pneumonia) that would be the source of some of these set backs.  I am not sure if we want that to be the case or not.

Prayers are greatly appreciated, friends.

Specific prayers would be:
for a good day tomorrow
for encouraging news
for lungs to heal
for reduced congestion and fluid on lungs
for positive news
for improvement
for reduce required oxygen
for rest and encouragement for both myself and my mom

Thank you so much.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry about your dad! I am praying for him and your family. I hope you get some encouraging news today and that he heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete