shabby 4

Sunday, February 26, 2012

He's Awake!

Hi Friends! I apologize for my delay in updating this blog regarding Dad.  It's been a busy few days and a lot of progress has been made. 

And I want to apologize if the following update is not succinct and clear.  I am one tired gal.  And a lot has happened that is challenging to recall.

Dad is doing a lot better.  He is awake (!!) and comfortable.  I guess he just needed a good solid month of sleep?  :)  He is responding with nods and smiles now.  What a sweet answer to prayer!

Because he was improving, the staff at the hospital were able to transfer him to a long term acute care hospital (LTACH) specializing in pulmonary rehabilitation.  On Wednesday, the doctors talked to us again about the LTACH and said it would be weeks away.  (They had talked to us about it previously; however, that was before he had some of his more major set backs.  They had not mentioned it lately as he was so critical and they were more concerned about short term stabilization than the long term recovery).  On Thursday, they said he would likely be transferred Friday.  And he was!  What a great, positive improvement.

He is still getting daily dialysis.  Before he left the first hospital, he was seen by a cardiologist regarding his irregular heart beat.  The cardiologist indicated that is normal for someone who has been so ill for so long.  The body is under a great deal of stress (to say the least!) and the heart has to work extra hard.  They gave him some (more) medicine to help with that.

They are going to start trying to do dialysis every other day now, so our prayer would be that he would be able to handle that and that his kidney function would kick back in some.


We are thankful that he is calm and relaxed while awake.  We are praying that remains the same.

Thank you for your continued prayers and support!

4 comments:

  1. Glory Hallelujah and Praise God!!! What fantastic, wonderful, blessed news!! (And letting out a huge sigh of relief, too)

    Please tell him hello and give him a hug from us.

    Still praying, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear your dad is improving! My mom and I are keeping him in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay... It is good to hear positive news! We will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad to hear this good news about your dad! My mom was just asking me today how he's doing. We will keep your family in our prayers. Please let me know if I can do anything to help :)

    ReplyDelete