shabby 4
Friday, July 22, 2011
'Fess Up Friday, Church Edition
It's that time again!
Continuing the list from previous 'Fess up Friday posts.
16. I fell asleep in church a few weeks ago. I had been battling a sinus migraine for 2-3 days. Because I am nursing our 5 month old, I am greatly limited in medicines I can take. Benadryl almost always does the trick to knock the pain down a notch or two.
It also does the trick in falling asleep pretty much anywhere.
Such as church.
17. For several years, I volunteered with the one of the kids' ministries at our church. At one point, one of the leaders mentioned that kids' attention spans are that of their age. So, if they are 12, then you can count on them being able to pay attention for 12 minutes.
My attention span is about 19 minutes. Therefore, I must be 19 years old.
18. Because of this attention span, I am challenged during the church sermon. I look at the clock when the pastor starts his sermon so I know how to plan and prepare mentally. Like a road map, if you will.
19. I know how long each of the pastors typically preaches, their tendencies and how to prepare mentally for it.
20. For instance, one pastor always has a video clip and opens with a joke. He is a 40 minute minimum kind of guy. He can push 45 minutes at times, which can be challenging. But I do appreciate the guaranteed video clip.
21. There is a family in our church that I am fascinated with. I semi-stalk them.
22. They have amazingly well-behaved children who even take notes in church. Their youngest is about 5 years old (the only boy) and has been sitting through church services for several years now.
23. I think their kids' attention spans are longer than mine.
24. I know which service they go to and their seating preferences (balcony, front row, Dad on the end of the row, Mom next to Dad, 5 year old boy next to Mom, then the 4 girls in varying patterns).
25. Hubs knows the drill - if we walk in and they are already seated, we sit 1-2 rows behind them. If they are not there yet, I try to predict which part of the balcony they are going to sit in. There are 5 or 6 sections which would meet their balcony, front row requirements.
26. They have not been in church all summer. I fear they have moved or changed churches.
27. I still look for them. It's not the same without them.
28. I want to be friends with them.
Previous 'Fess Up Friday Posts:
The Original
Weakness Edition
Labels:
Church,
Fess Up Friday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh man, the stalking seriously made me laugh. I thought I was the only one who did that stuff! I totally felt like that about a blogger; I just liked and admired her so much I wanted to be friends with her... then one day she sent me an email out of the blue and I think I shrieked and about fell off my chair. Seriously. Total stalker syndrome.
ReplyDeleteLove that story. You will have to keep us updated on whether the magical family returns, and next time I dare you to say "Hi! I'm the lady who's been sitting 1-2 rows behind you all year. I missed you!"