So, a few years ago, Hubs was at a gas station and he encounters this frantic lady who has a genuinely sad story about her mom being in a nearby hospital because of a bad car accident. This lady is on her way to see her mom, but only has $3 and needs some money for gas. (There are more details, but I don't remember them. It sounded fairly believable in my husband's retelling of the story.) She asked Hubs for some cash. I think he had less than $5 on him, but he gave her that.
Now, Hubs and I are no fools. We know some people have legitimate financial needs and some people are just playing you. Hubs and I are Christians and as Christians, God commands us to love others, which can include such things as I just mentioned. We are responsible to how we respond to these people (whether in word or deed, or both) but are not necessarily responsible for how they are handling their situation (be it a genuine need or a lie). So, we don't know the lady's situation, but Hubs had a little bit of cash, so he gave it to her.
A few weeks later, we were eating on the patio of a local restaurant. A lady drives up next to the patio. I hear some commotion and she is crying and carrying on to the nearest patrons. Hubs says, "Oh! That is the same lady I encountered a few weeks ago at the gas station!" We listen closely and realize she is telling them the same exact story she told Hubs a few weeks back.
Again, a few weeks later, we are at the same restaurant and the same scenario plays itself out. You would think she would be more creative and come up with a new story. But, she clearly appears to be gifted in the telling of that particular story.
Today, I was at Costco with the kids getting baby wipes. Because, if you need baby wipes, you are gonna need them in bulk, my friends.
I see this lady and I smile at her. All of a sudden, she comes up besides me, showing me an index card. I start to read the index card and don't finish it. I realize it is the same lady, but with a new approach and a slightly altered story. I tell her that I am sorry, but I can't help her today.
And I walk away torn. And I feel sad. The kind of help she needs is not monetary. And I don't know the right way to respond to such a situation.
So, today, I have done all I know to do, really. And that is to pray for her.
I think that really is the best thing I can do for her anyways.
That is really sad! :( I have never heard of anyone doing something like that.
ReplyDeleteFYI-Our WWF game has freaked out and it won't let me play my turn. It lets me play all other people but you. Apparently, it is against us. So, I will start a new game soon. Ok? Ok.
I've seen someone like that a couple different times, too, and it can be such a dilemma at times, can't it?
ReplyDeleteIn the end, bottom-line, I agree with you... praying for them is the very best thing we can do for them.
Blessings and love,
D