shabby 4

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wednesday Hodge-a-ma-podge

Linking up to Joyce again.

Q&A for more kicks and grins.



1. Using what's in your frig right now, what sort of meal would you be able to make for guests who are standing on your front porch this very minute?

Well, I have 4 pounds of raw broccoli in the fridge.  I'm a touch obsessed with green veggies lately.  I would make them roasted broccoli, sauteed garlic tofu, and couscous.  I also have 4 pounds of grapes.  Actually, I think it has dwindled down to a mere 2 pounds.  So, I would include grapes as well.  

We like our fruits and veggies at this house!

2. What is something about yourself that you hope will change but that you know probably never will?

Acne.  Why must a 32 year old deal with such?  And pretty soon I will have wrinkles and acne.  Fun times.  Or maybe I already do?  

3. What is something about yourself you hope never changes?

My love for my husband and kids.  Unless, of course, the love just grows deeper.

4. Do you usually send serious or funny greeting cards? Why?

I am not organized enough for greeting cards.  But, if I was, I would get a funny one and then write a sweet note in it.  

5. Bird watching, shell gathering, star gazing-your choice for whiling away the hours?

Star gazing. Living in a large metropolitan area, the only "stars" I see are planes in the night sky.  The real stars are faint because of all of the suburban sprawl lights.

On the first week of freshman year at college, which was in a small town, I was amazed and dumbfounded by how beautiful the stars were.  I had never really seen anything like that.  It took my breath away.

6. Do you double or triple check things? If so, what?

Yes, the doors at night.  

Also, my graphic design files I make.

Not so fun fact about graphic design files: I worked at my church for a number of years doing graphic design/publishing things. I loved my job and what I did. Our pastor had written a book that he wanted to self-publish.  Previous books he had written had been published through big name Christian publishing firms but he wanted to go a different route with publishing this time.

I was in charge of designing the cover, creating diagrams and illustrations within the book, doing the layout of the text, editing text (along with other people editing), and taking care of all the legal things.  There was a LOT to do and a tight deadline.  

After I had approved all of the final proofs from the printer and was relieved that it was DONE, I realized that there was a simple typo on the back cover of the book.  (satisfaction without the c)  I was mortified, horrified, scared, etc.  We had printed 10,000 copies.  I had to tell my boss.  Who then had to tell the pastor.  The pastor was so unbelievably kind and gracious, as was my boss, but I felt horrible.  And, yes, I had checked and rechecked that back cover at least 30 times.  But, when you look at something so long, you stop seeing it. 

Fortunately, the 10,000 count book supply diminished rather quickly, so we were able to reprint and fix the typo!

7. What's your favorite place for people watching?

Costco.  It is always fun to see what people buy in bulk!  

As a deacon at our church, hubs is in charge of buying grape juice for communion at church.   And we attend a large church, so that's a lot of grape juice, people!  A LOT. I think he is embarrassed to buy grape juice in bulk at Costco as he does get some comments, stares, and questions, but I always tell him how fascinating it is to watch what people buy.  I am not sure that is a comforting word to him, though.


8. Insert your own random thought here.

How do normal people keep kids clothes organized?  I am not talking about type-A people, but people like me who are disorganized and scattered but try not to be.  

Right now, when I come across something that no longer fits a kid, I throw it in a pile in the closet.  But, then I end up with a weird conglomeration of sizes and clothing seasons.  And then I can't remember that some random 6 month outfit really should be stored with the 3 month outfits because it runs small...and on and on. I try to write on a tag with a sharpie what the size really is, but then I still end up confused somehow.


3 comments:

  1. I love to look in grocery carts too. My hubs says I'm a tad nosy : ) I'm interested is all.

    That's a lot of broccoli. I love my fruits and veg too so I'd be pretty happy with your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on #2. Had it since a teen. WHEN will it EVER go away?!

    If you come up with the magic formula for keeping kid's clothes organized, let me know. With 3 girls, I save everything! What one can't wear, the other can :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing what others buy too... You can learn a lot about a family by their shopping cart.
    As for how "real" people organize kids stuff... We don't but we pretend we have it all together when you visit so we can feel smug... Sorry 'bout that...

    ReplyDelete