shabby 4

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Words-Healing or Destructive?


So, it has been a tough last couple of weeks for me.

Most recently, I somehow managed to really hurt my back and neck to the point that I couldn't do anything without great pain. You know when you are in pain, your tolerance level for other things in life is greatly reduced.

Needless to say, I've been on the edge a good bit.

There is this annual Folk Art show that my mom and I go to each year and thoroughly enjoy. It is one of the creative and inspirational highlights of the year for me.

As much as I love going, I was not looking forward to it this year because of my neck and back pain. You kind of need to be able to move your neck to view the art. I was tired. I was spent emotionally. But I was hoping to be energized by going. It is (almost) always fun to talk to the artists.

Mom and I had been at the show for only about 15 minutes when I had a really awkward encounter with one of the artists. She was rude and harsh with her words. I don't care to get into the details of it, but trust me. Harsh.

The interesting thing was that she had this absolutely beautiful painting that I was admiring, ironically entitled "Glory to God." It could have possibly been one of the best paintings at the show in terms of skill and technique. But the interaction with her made her painting now very unattractive to me.

Mom and I walked around a little stunned for a few minutes and eventually ended up at the booth of one of my favorite artists. I have never spoken to this artist that I admire so because she is usually busy talking with others and I am a bit intimidated by her talent. But, on this day, she was free and struck up a conversation with us. We talked to her for probably 15-20 minutes, which is a lot of her time when she is attempting to sell paintings and answer questions about them to all the patrons.

She was so kind and friendly and gentle. Quite the contrast from the encounter with the other artist.

Her kindness to me (and Mom) was healing, encouraging, and renewing. Life giving.

And her paintings that I already loved so much? All the more lovely now that I had such a sweet encounter with her. Exquisite, even.

After those two drastically different encounters, I thought so much of the power of our words to heal or destroy others. 

I honestly hope and pray that I may not destroy anyone with my words, but only encourage them. They are, after all, a powerful thing.  

'licious



1 comment:

  1. I have always felt uplifted and encouraged by your words, and I have never felt discouraged or hurt by them. I appreciate your wisdom, honesty, and insightfulness. I appreciate that I have always felt accepted and never judged by you, despite some of the ugly things I have shared about my life. I heard the other day something about how it is difficult to see how Jesus' light shines through our own selves, but it really does with you. Great food for thought, as it is easy to justify away the things I say so casually at times, thinking the words will be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete